What does success look like to you?
How do you measure your own success?
• Is it how much money you have in the bank?
• Is it the suburb you life in?
• Is it the clothes you wear?
• The type of car you drive?
• Or is it being healthy, happy and free?
Success is something that we should be striving for, yet it eludes many people. You are the only person who can describe what success looks like to you; you may choose to view success as having lots of money, material possessions, having a job you love, or it may be being healthy, being happy or having freedom. It may be a combination – it is totally up to you it is your life.
But – first things first, before we can measure success we need to have some goals. I do not want to talk about goal setting here however – if you would like to know more about goal setting click here. Sorry in advance for talking about football. Football teams can measure their success in many ways – winning and losing, making the finals or winning the premiership. We too can measure success in many different ways and on many different levels.
If you really want to be successful you need to change the way you do things and change the way you think. One of my favourite saying is “Doing what you have always done and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.” It is so true and yet day in and day out this is what people are doing. If success is eluding you it is now time to make a change.
It doesn’t matter what your goal is – the formula stays the same. I believe that there are 7 rules for achieving success.
Rules for achieving success:
1. You have to want it – you have to be 100% committed “no ifs or buts!”
2. You need a plan – not having a plan is planning to fail
3. Always give 100% – do you very best and be honest
4. Learn from your mistakes – occasionally you will make mistakes learn from them and move on
5. Strive for constant improvement – look for better ways, don’t be content
6. Find a mentor – someone who is doing or has done what you want to do and don’t be afraid to ask for help
7. Work smarter not harder – to succeed you are going to have to work hard, don’t get me wrong but ‘quality is more important than quantity.’
All of the rules are important, success is an evolutionary process that must continue to grow and change. You are going to run into naysayers’ and people who try to bring you down – but if you want it badly enough and believe in yourself you will achieve it.
Roll up your sleeves and go out and get it.